Before Cataclysm comes out, hunters are getting a massive change to their pets. No longer are the pets limited to one use or being the best-of-the-best (like the wolf). Also, pets can cover for a missing buff; so if your raid is missing a Str/Agi buff, then bring a cat! Anyway, here’s a global list of pets and their uses.
Hunter Pet Abilities and Buffs by Pet
Here is a complete list of all the Cataclysm hunter pet abilities. Several of these have been changing throughout the beta, so please drop a note if I’ve got something wrong here. Also note that I’ve left out cosmetic pet abilities like the fox’s Play and the bear’s Rest.
- Bat Sonic Blast: 2-second stun.
- Bear Demoralizing Roar: reduces physical damage caused by all enemies within range by 10%
- Bird of Prey Snatch: disarm.
- Boar Gore: increased bleed damage.
- Carrion Bird Demoralizing Screech: Appears not to have been updated last time I checked (not going to stay the same).
- Cat Roar of Courage: Str/Agility buff.
- Chimera (exotic) Froststorm Breath: conical damaging attack.
- Corehound (exotic) Lava Breath: 25% cast speed reduction.
Ancient Hysteria: attack speed increase (Heroism/Bloodlust).
- Crab Pin: 4 sec root.
- Crocolisk Ankle Crack slow effect.
- Devilsaur (exotic) Monstrous Bite: reduces the effectiveness of heals received by 25%
Terrifying Roar: 5% increased crit chance buff.
- Dog Lock Jaw: 4-sec root.
- Dragonhawk Fire Breath: increased magic damage taken buff.
- Fox Tailspin: attack speed reduction
- Gorilla Pummel: 2-sec. spell school lockout.
- Hyena Tendon Rip: increased bleed damage taken.
- Moth Serenity Dust: interrupts/prevents spellcasting from that school of magic for 2 sec.
- Monkey Bad Manner: 4-sec blind.
- Nether Ray Nether Shock: interrrupt/spellschool lockout.
- Raptor Tear Armor: armor debuff [I’m sure this will be fixed to stack 3 times for 12% like every other armor debuff.]
- Ravager Ravage: increases enemy’s physical damage taken by 4%
- Rhino (exotic) Stampede: bleed damage increased by 30%.
Horn Toss: knockback.
- Scorpid Clench: disarm.
- Serpent Corrosive Spit: armor debuff. [Note: I’m sure this will be changed to stack 3 times to be the same as all the other armor debuffs in Cataclysm.]
- Shale Spider (exotic) Embrace of the Shale Spider: 5% stat increase (like Kings or MotW).
- Silithid (excotic) Venom Web Spray: 5-sec root.
Qiraji Fortitude : stamina increase (fortitude).
- Spider Web: 5-sec root.
- Spirit Beast (exotic) Spirit Mend: targeted heal and HoT.
Roar of Courage: Str/Agility buff
Spirit Walk: stealth
- Sporebat Spore Cloud: cast speed reduction.
- Tallstrider Dust Cloud: attack speed reduction.
- Turtle Shell Shield: damage reduction.
- Warp Stalker Time Warp: movement speed reduction.
- Wasp Sting: 2-sec stun.
- Wind Serpent Lightning Breath: increased magic damage taken.
- Wolf Furious Howl: 5% crit chance increase.
- Worm (exotic) Acid Spit: increased physical damage taken.
Burrow Attack: AoE attack
Hunter Pet Raid Buffs by Pet Type
Now let’s set aside all those hunter pet abilities that aren’t related to raid buffs. Here we’re just looking at the raid buffs, organized by pet type. This list should be most helpful in determining which hunter pets you will want to have in your giant Cataclysm stable for your raid team.
Ferocity Hunter Pet Buffs
- Agility and Strength: cat, spirit beast (exotic)
- Burst Haste: corehound (exotic)
- 5% crit: wolf, devilsaur (exotic)
- 12% armor debuff: raptor
- 30% bleed damage: hyena
- Cast speed reduction: corehound (exotic)
- 10% melee attack speed reduction: tallstrider, fox
Cunning Hunter Pet Buffs
- Health: silithid (exotic)
- 12% armor debuff: serpent
- Cast speed reduction: sporebat
- 4% physical damage taken: ravager
- 8% spell damage taken: dragonhawk, wind serpent
Tenacity Hunter Pet Buffs
- 5% stats: shale spider (exotic)
- 12% physical damage: bear
- 30% bleed damage: rhino (exotic), boar
- 4% physical damage taken: worm (exotic)
Raid Buffs by Raid Buff Type
Here is a complete list of every raid buff and debuff available in Cataclysm, including which hunter pets provide it as well as what classes provide it. Note that I don’t guarantee the information on other classes is still correct. The info on other classes came from Blizzard, but much earlier in the beta and things could have changed. I only keep up to date on hunter stuff.
- Agility and Strength cat, spirit beast (exotic), death knight, shaman, warrior
- Armor shaman, paladin
- 10% AP marksmanship hunter, enhancement shaman, blood death knight, paladin
- Burst Haste corehound (exotic), shaman, mage
- 3% Damage beastmastery hunter, arcane mage, retribution paladin
- Health silithid (exotic); warlock, warrior, priest
- Mana Pool mage, warlock
- Mana Regen paladin, shaman, warlock
- Replenishment shadow priest, frost mage, destruction warlock, retribution paladin
- 5% Crit wolf, devilsaur (exotic), fury warrior, feral druid, subtlety rogue, elemental shaman
- 20% Melee Attack Speed shaman, frost death knight, retribution paladin, survival hunter
- 5% Spell Haste shaman, balance druid, shadow priest, destro warlock
- 6% Spell Power mage, shaman
- 10% Spell Power elemental shaman, demonology warlock, fire mage
- 5% Stats shale spider (exotic), paladin, druid
- 12% Armor Debuff serpent, raptor, warrior, rogue, druid
- 10% Physical Damage Debuff bear, warrior, druid, protection paladin, warlock, blood death knight
- 30% Bleed Damage Debuff rhino (exotic), boar, hyena, arms warrior, feral druid, subtlety rogue
- 30% Cast Speed Reduction sporebat, corehound (exotic), warlock, rogue, arcane mage
- 5% Spell Crit Chance Taken fire mage, warlock, mage
- 25% Healing Taken devilsaur (exotic), arms warrior, fury warrior, hunter, rogue, frost mage, shadow priest
- 10% Melee Attack Speed Debuff tallstrider, fox, warrior, death knight, feral druid, protection paladin
- 4% Physical Vulnerability worm (exotic), ravager, arms warrior, combat rogue, frost death knight
- 8% Spell Damage Taken dragonhawk, wind serpent, warlock, unholy death knight, balance druid, assassination rogue
The Pet Short List
Here is a suggested list of the 12 pets that you should have in your stable to cover every raid buff type. This list assumes that you’d prefer ferocity over cunning, and cunning over tenacity — so that you always have the highest dps pet providing your buff. It also assumes that you’d prefer a non-exotic pet over an exotic pet, so you’ll have more flexibility in what spec to use.
Note that three buffs are only provided by exotic pets: the burst haste (heroism), stamina (fortitude), and 5% stats (kings/motw).
- Cat (str/agil)
- Corehound – exotic (burst haste & cast speed reduction)
- Silithid – exotic (health)
- Wolf (crit)
- Shale Spider – exotic (5% stats)
- Raptor (armor debuff)
- Bear (physical damage caused debuff)
- Hyena (bleed damage)
- Sporebat (cast speed reduction)
- Tallstrider or Fox (attack speed slow)
- Ravager (physical damage vulnerability)
- Dragonhawk or Wind Serpent (spell damage taken)